First Blog

About Me

My name is JiaoNing Hu, I prefer you to call me Jerry. This is my second year at the University of Victoria, and my major is Economic. Prior to this, I studied art and science at Camosun College and obtained a diploma.

What interests you about social media and personalized learning?

Social media is a big part in people’s life today. We spend lots of time on social media with all kinds of purpose. Not only watching fun videos, but also leaning from knowledge bloggers. Using social media as a tool to tailor the learning experiences could be very effective. With devices, one could easily access vast knowledge and reach peers even experts in your interested area. I’m looking forward that the personalized learning, with the help of algorithms, will create engaging educational methods.

How do you currently use digital tools in your learning or professional life?

I’ve been using digital tools in both of my learning and professional life for a very long time. In learning, I watch Khan academy courses to expand my multidiscipline knowledge. I use astronomy educational apps to explore the real-time night sky. I also watch Youtube to see my interested bloggers sharing about their opinions on politics. I use my laptop to do professional learning. I use email, google doc and excel to manage my team collaboration and work progress. Plus, google scholar is a wonderful resource to access academic research. I believe that good at using digital learning tools is a crucial skill for every student.

What is your understanding of digital literacy and its importance in education?

Digital literacy is an ability to effectively search, read, and use information online. It is also related to in students’ academic performance. The skills include Creative Thinking, Critical Thinking, Learning to Learn, Communication, Collaboration and Social Responsibilities. Digital literacy is important in education because those skills enable students to identify useful and reliable information from vast resources by using critical thinking. I think students should always enhance their digital literacy because there are so many new digital tools appeared every day.

Describe any experiences you have with Personal Learning Networks(PLNs). How do you plan to develop and utilize your PLN through this course?

I’ve been using PLNs by connecting with my friends, teachers, and experts through LinkedIn, WeChat, Twitter, and email. These platforms have played a crucial role since my middle school years. In this course, I hope to discover more personalized learning channels that are more suitable for my current academic life to enhance my learning and skills.

Previous

Welcome and Introduction

Next

Blog 2

1. shuyao

Hi Jerry. Your blog has a great understanding of the use of digital tools and digital literacy. You describe in detail how to effectively utilize these tools in your academic and professional life, demonstrating their importance in enhancing personal capabilities and teamwork. Your explanation of digital literacy is clear and concise, highlighting its centrality in education, particularly in the processing and assessment of information. Your reference to Personal Learning Networks (PLNs) also illustrates the critical role of modern social platforms in academic and professional development. I look forward to your course to discover more learning resources that suit your needs and further expand and optimize your PLNs. I enjoyed your sharing and look forward to your next blog .